Re: [NTLK] Clean setup of a 2100

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 15:45:50 EST

Joseph Solin wrote:
> I'm in the process of purchasing a used 2100 and would like to set it
> up properly.
>
> I plan to:
>
> 1) Rest the unit to factory condition removing all software, updates,
> and data - How do I do this?

Before you brain wipe, you might want to peek to see what's installed - might
give you ideas on how to set it up after you reset.

Do a hard reset:
http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-nos.html#IIIB2e

Don't forget to remove any cards first. If you want to erase a card without
mounting it first, open Prefs, then insert the card. This will force format
the card (linear cards only, not ATA).

You'll probably want to install some system software after doing the reset,
most likely Newton Works:
http://nemesys2.dyndns.org:8080/NewtSoft_EN.html

and Newton Internet Enabler 2.0:
http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/software/Internet/NIE2/

Transports and other net applications:
http://www.unna.org/unna/internet/

And drivers for various things:
http://www.unna.org/unna/drivers/

> 2) Get the unit communicating with my iMAC w/ 10.2 so I can transfer
> packages - I have a Belkin USB serial adapter.

Get NCU:
http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/connection_utils/ForMac/NewtonConnectionUtilities/

Some Mac heads can help you with actually connecting...

> 3) Install any needed OS updates - Which ones should I need after the
> complete reset?

A brain wipe won't erase any system updates. But check to make sure it has
the most recent update anyways.

To check the OS version:
http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-nos.html#IIIA3

And the most recent updates for various models:
http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-nos.html#IIIA2

http://www.kallisys.com/newton/ata/

> 5) Install add-on programs

UNNA is the largest repository of Newton software.

http://www.unna.org/ (pick a mirror on the front page)