Re: [NTLK] [OT?] Jaguar on x86?

From: Brian Pearce (bpearce_at_cloud9.net)
Date: Sun Sep 01 2002 - 21:33:48 PDT

>Speaking as an x86 user, I honestly don't see this as a good thing. This
>would cut off what few tools still work on the mac (and OSX in Classic mode)
>for the Newton... Granted, it would open up a lot of x86 products to Mac
>users - but if you wanted that you'd just be running Linux PPC or
>Softwindows on your OSX boxes, right?
>
>While I *do* see them using it as a strategic "trump card" and I see the
>possibility that they leaked it to make Motorola nervous, I think that they
>(and the Apple community at large) would be happer with Apple working out
>the issues with Motorola (or finding a G4 pin compatible replacement).

To quote someone on another mailing list on this subject:

"They started with an OpenStep source base that built on Intel processors, and it's a *lot* easier to maintain it as you go along then to decide at some later point to port it to a new architecture.

If I was running Apple's engineering department, I'd pay to keep the Intel version up to date, not only because it keeps options open, but because it helps keep the code cleaner, free of processor dependencies that can bite you someday whether you expect it or not. After the 68K transition, such a move is just good sense, even if you have no current plans to use the capability."

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net