Re: [NTLK] Internet software for Newton

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 05:38:03 PDT

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Dan Wilson wrote:

> I just picked up a 2100 from ebay. I plan to add a wireless card to it.
> There are several options for browsers, email, etc. Any recommendations
> for internet software?

Well, you can use NIE, or you can use NIE :)

http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/software/Internet/NIE2/

Check the users guide there if you're new to all this Newton Internet
stuff.

> Also, is support for the .pkg format built into the Newton, or do I
> need to download certain software for it?

The newton knows how to load packages, as long as you have something to
install them with.

http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-nos.html#IIIB3b

Two options that aren't on that list are:

UnixNPI: package installer (via serial only) for most UNIXes (including
Mac OS X): http://unixnpi.sourceforge.net/

Andrew P's TCP/IP package installer: http://anrp.irulethe.net/newton/