Re: [NTLK] Sharing DSL Connection

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 21:15:59 PDT

on 03/09/02 23:54, Lallang_at_aol.com at Lallang_at_aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 09/03/2002 22:48:07, laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net writes:
>
>> If you feel like spending isn't too much of a problem, then get a 3rd party
>> AirPort compatible card for your 2K and get a wireless cable/DSL router.
>> Be
>> warned that the current version of the Wavelan/AirPort driver for the Newton
>> is not always reliable when transferring large amount of data, like large
>> packages. I've just tried to restore a 400 KB package with my Lucent ORiNOCO
>> Silver card, and the connection was dropped twice. Went back with my
>> Farallon EtherWave and transferred the package at my first attempt...
>>

> How prevalent is the problem with connections being dropped? Is it always
> the case regardless of distance to base station or only when far from the
> base station? I'm eyeing a Proxim Orinoco Gold card to use with my Newton
> 2100 and an Airport Base Station (gray) instead of Appletalk via my old
> Farallon Etherwave connection. Thanks in advance.

Well, so far, I only tested from about 10 feet from the base station!

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
BUAG // n.: [abbreviation, from alt.fan.warlord] Big Ugly ASCII Graphic.
Pejorative term for ugly ASCII art, especially as found in sig blocks. For
some reason, mutations of the head of Bart Simpson are particularly common
in the least imaginative sig blocks. See warlording.