Re: [NTLK] [OT] Travel and the Newt

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 12:20:18 PDT

on 9/5/02 2:43 PM, Jon Glass at jonglass_at_usa.net wrote:

> Honestly, most of what goes on anymore doesn't make sense. There are strict
> rules and regulations, and firm stances, but none of it really increases
> security in any measurable amount. It's a knee-jerk reaction and it's rather
> brainless IMNSHO.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to call it brainless. Even if security isn't
increased one bit, if the general public FEELS more secure and therefore
returns to flying, the part of the economic engine that depends upon air
travel returns toward normal. Since this was a very real form of damage
inflicted on 9/11, doing things to mitigate that damage is a reasonable
response. Now, the precautions DO make things more secure, just not totally
secure. Even a fairly leaky security system can be effective in preventing
MULTIPLE armed people from getting onto a plane. A system that's only 2/3
effective in detecting armed individuals provides about 90% protection
against TWO and about 97% effectiveness against 3.

The real problem is that, like everything else, we're "fighting the last
war".

- Eric.