Re: [NTLK] Newton newbie

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 18:21:55 PDT

on 05/09/02 20:16, Michael Sciascia at msciascia_at_poc.it wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I just bought a newton 2000 (upgraded to 2100) on ebay and i should get
> it soon, i hope.
> I have some question to ask and I apologize if they are stupid and if
> they have already been posted before.
> Which are the best ways to connect the Newton to my Tibook with
> OSX/OS9.2.2?
> Maybe ethernet? I read that it is possible to add ethernet to teh
> newton, how? And where can i find such accessories at a fair price?
> I would also buy the serial cable with adapter to connect the newton to
> my PowerBook G4, but I should also buy a USB/serial adapter. Would it
> work?
> I am also bidding for a Power Adapter which, as i read around, should be
> compatible with all the models. can you tell me if there is a specific
> one for the newton 2x00 and if a specific one for 220V?
>
> Sorry for asking so many question, but searching the archive gave too
> many reults in order to be useful for me.
> To avoid asking always for really newbie questions could you give me
> some links where to find basic information?

Yes, you can connect your Newton to your TiBook. You need to install the
"Newton Internet Enabler" version 2.0 that should be on UNNA, in the Apple
or maybe the Internet section. You'll then have to find a compatible
Ethernet card. Check <http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet/> for a list of
cards and their respective drivers. The problem, if you don't have any of
those packages installed, will be to get them in your Newton. If another
user is in your area, you could ask them to load the required packages on a
flash RAM card that you could then use in your 2000U. Somebody mentioned an
Ethernet card compatible with the Newton for $8 + shipping at
<http://www.computer-show.com/>. Check it out. You then just need a regular
Ethernet cable. Since your TiBook has an autosensing Ethernet port, you
don't need a crossover cable that is usually required when connecting 2
Ethernet devices without a hub. The TiBook should sense that there is no hub
and will adjust itself accordingly.

All Newton power adapters were compatible with all models. However, the
earlier generation, although compatible, will take a few hours to recharge a
Newton 2000 rechargeable pack, as opposed to the last generation, which
takes about an hour. You can tell the difference between the 2 with the
power they provide. The first generation outputs 7W and the 2nd generation
outputs 9W, hence the smaller amount of time required for recharging. If you
don't have a Newton rechargeable pack, then it's a moot point.

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
code monkey n.: 1. A person only capable of grinding out code, but unable to
perform the higher-primate tasks of software architecture, analysis, and
design. Mildly insulting. Often applied to the most junior people on a
programming team. 2. Anyone who writes code for a living; a programmer. 3. A
self-deprecating way of denying responsibility for a management decision, or
of complaining about having to live with such decisions. As in "Don't ask me
why we need to write a compiler in COBOL, I'm just a code monkey."