Re: [NTLK] Where is public Wireless in Boston?

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_jameswhale.com)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 13:16:07 PDT

> I thought, however, that Hiroshi's wireless driver needed to know the
> network name in order to work. Is this true?
>
> Also, has anyone written any software to use with the Newt to do
> war-walking/driving/etc with a wireless ethernet card?
>
> Just curious... I'd like to see how far my networks reach in [and
> out]
> of my building.

Theoretically you should be able to set SSID to blank or "ANY" and you
can connect to any network that's not WEP-encrypted or otherwise
restricted. I've never been able to accomplish this in practice, but
I've never been in a location where I knew a WiFi network existed
outside my own home.

Anyway, I have 2 "Location" cards set up with these SSIDs which I try
out from time to time just in case. Never had any luck though.

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Bond SHEPHERD            |   Americans practice different faiths
in