Re: [NTLK] HELP! MP2K locks up!!

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 08:47:20 PDT

on 08/09/02 03:31, Chunky at chunky_at_trideja.com wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I've had a MP2000 for a couple years now, but haven't really gotten
> serious with it. But now that I finally have a need for it, I'm
> having problems. Lately, whenever I'm done using Notes and tap the
> "X" to close, my Newt just sits there totally unresponsive. Same
> thing happens when I close Dates, etc... My MP2000 won't turn off,
> I have to use the reset button on the backside, and everything is
> fine until I try closing another program...
>
> What's going on, and what do I have to do to fix it?

It sounds like something is going on in background. Do you have any
extension that are supposed to help with the infamous '61 error? After I did
install the whole SimpleMail string of packages, I now notice that everytime
I turn my Newton off, it takes several seconds to actually do it. I have
SysPatch set for checking the memory when I turn it off, but it never took
so long.

So, whether there is something going on behind the scene, or the memory
where your data is stored is seriously fragmented, or there is something odd
in your system soup, where most of your preferences are stored. Do a backup,
then do a hard reset. Try to see if you have still the same problem.

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
cargo cult programming n.: A style of (incompetent) programming dominated by
ritual inclusion of code or program structures that serve no real purpose. A
cargo cult programmer will usually explain the extra code as a way of
working around some bug encountered in the past, but usually neither the bug
nor the reason the code apparently avoided the bug was ever fully understood
(compare shotgun debugging, voodoo programming).