Re: [NTLK] PT100 and Sun Consoling

From: Ben Rockwood (benr_at_cuddletech.com)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 21:46:42 PDT

Thanx for the reply David. I figured for the archive I'd follow up.
I played with it a bit and got it to work.... I'm using a MP2100, PT100
(latest beta) and a Sun Ultra1. Using only the serial dongle via
the onboard serial port, the standard serial cable for docking, and
a DB9M-DB25M straigh-thru converter I got a console up and running on
the Newton! It's pretty kool but slow.

Also, I looked around that serial PCMCIA cards suggested, but I'd
agree that the $150 isn't worth it, for that I can buy a cheap laptop
and put Linux/*BSD on it and not tie up my Newton. But, if you are
a really hardcore sysadmin who keeps a "go bag" full of all the toys
you might need, a Newton is a really great in-the-bag console in case
of emergancy.

benr.

<quote who="David Arnold">
> -->"Ben" == Ben Rockwood <benr_at_cuddletech.com> writes:
>
> Ben> Can I use the included serial cable and just toss a null modem
> Ben> adapter on it?
>
> i've used my newt as a serial console before. depending on the
> particular machine, the cable might work as is, or via a null-modem
> adaptor. i normally use a breakout box and hack to suit (esp for
> CTS/RTS, DSR/DTR, etc).
>
> Ben> I'm also curious if there is a way to do direct serial from the
> Ben> newton without using the onboard serial adapter, or if I can Ben>
> use multiple serial devices... primarily so I can use my Newton Ben>
> Keyboard with a console.
>
> socket communications make single and double serial port PCMCIA cards
> that work with the newton. these were widely used when developing
> comms software, since it allows you to test the inbuilt serial port
> while maintaining a debugger connection.
>
> http://www.socketcom.com/product/SL0700-004.asp
> http://www.socketcom.com/product/SL0703-081.asp
>
> sadly, they're not cheap :-( ie. USD150!
>
> Ben> Are there any people do this actively who can help?
>
> i haven't done it for a while, but i'm sure there's enough expertise on
> the list to get you going ...

> --
> Read the Newton FAQ: http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

//Ben Rockwood - UNIX Systems Admin
//email: benr_at_cuddletech.com
//web: www.cuddletech.com
//-> We do what we can, We give what we have,
//-> Our doubt is our passion, and our passion is our task,
//-> The rest is the madness of Art.
//->   -Henry James