Re: [NTLK] SELECTIVE STORAGE AND RETRIEVAL ON NEWTON

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 05:05:49 PDT

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002 Siegelrj_at_aol.com wrote:

> Is it possible to selectively store and retrieve items to a PCMCIA card
> without doing an entire or even partial backup/restore. Can a package or

Yes, typically (in Notes/Names/Works/whatever) you just have to select the
items you want to move, then file them to the card. They won't
"disappear" from the application though. They'll just be stored in a
different physical place.

> document be saved on the device and the card simultaneously. All I can seem
> to do is file to either internal or a card but don't know how to copy.

The design of the Newton's storage system makes it necessary to not have
more than one copy of an object live at one time. You can backup to a
card, and then that data will be saved but not active. It sounds like you
want to have a "live" backup of your data made on a card as you update
things on your Newton. You can't do this. Maybe you could look into
storing different subjects on different cards (eg. all of Project A's data
is on this card, Project B on this card, etc) and then doing card to card
backups using SBM Utils:

http://www.sbm.nu/englisch/newton/sbmutils/index.htm

For storing packages, you should look at NewtCase by ICS:

http://www.newts.com/newton/