Re: [NTLK] Ogg Vorbis

From: Andre Beckedorf (Newton_at_Beckedorf.net)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 12:44:52 PDT

I've worked with Vorbis and the Ogg Media Format for quite some. The
produced files are in deed smaller and sound better than MP3 at a comparable
bitrate; especially at 64kbps it sounds excellent!

I haven't looked into the new "Tremor"-sourcecode, so I can't tell whether
the StrongARM used in the MP2x00 models is sufficient for decoding Vorbis,
but I would guess so.
I tried a Vorbis decoder once on my Casio E-125, which uses a 150 MHz MIPS
CPU with no FPU, and the sound output lacked quite a bit, but this
implementation was using aggressive floating-point calculations at that
time.

It would be cool to see a Vorbis Decoder on Newton, but I don't think this
might happen any time soon. But maybe one could extend Mad Newton to a kind
of Newton Audio Player able to play MP3 and Vorbis.

Regards,
Andre Beckedorf