Re: [NTLK] Ramblings and Wishes

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 06:09:15 PDT

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Dave Bonhoff wrote:

> to day use and amaze most everyone. I'm also proud to say I've been
> wearing my NTLK T-shirt regularly and display a prototype NTLK button
> on my bag. Thanks Victor!

You're welcome!

Please, buy more t-shirts! I still have lots!

http://www.newtontalk.net/shirts/

> When I say I'm 9O% there, I'm having a few issues and have a few wishes:
>
> - On occasion Simple Mail will have trouble retrieving mail from my
> ISP. It will connect, deleate 'deleated' messages and then hang while
> checking for new mail. I will not be able to dowload new messages to
> my Newt until I clear out my mailbox by downloading all my messages to
> my Powerbook. I'm guessing that this is an issue with my ISP.
> Thoughts?

I haven't used SimpleMail in a bit - I have a love-hate relationship with
doing mail on my Newton. Maybe now that I've switched to my backup 2100
that doesn't have the jaggies (just a minor alignment problem), I'll go
back to SM. But I get a lot of mail, and I'm really used to managing it
through Pine. Anyways.

I used to get this problem with SM as well. Usually it was because I had
some spam with an evil text encoding (like EUC-KR or BIG5) that SM didn't
like because it had weird characters in it. I don't think there's a
workaround.

> -I seem to have to reset my Newt at least once a day, usually due to
> poor performance,'61 errors, or not being able to 'power down', switch
> off, what ever you want to call it... Yes, I've loaded and deleated
> lot's of stuff while getting familiar with what my Newt can do for me.
> I'm sure that I have packages installed that I have no idea what they
> belong to! I have used Prefs Cleaner, but...

Do you use a '61 fixer? I recommend Heaven or Hell:
http://www.saryo.org/basuke/software/heaven-or-hell-101.sit.hqx

I have it set to only check at power-off, which works great for me. I
very seldom get a '61.

> - I'd like to replace the functionality of Avant-GO on the Visor with
> Newt's Cape on the Newt, but have yet to figure out how to download
> linked pages without also following advertisements and other off site
> links.

Use pages that don't have them :) PlinkIT! is a good site that has
"light" links for PDAs:

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~blumax/plinkit/