Re: [NTLK] Linux on Newton 2100?

From: Jeff Sheldon (jeff_at_jurai.net)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 13:42:39 PDT

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Will Leingang wrote:

> Has anyone entertained the thought of a linux package for the Newton?

No one has a clear enough understanding of Newton internals to approach
this. There's a theory that the Newton 2x00s can auto-boot from a PCMCIA
card and perhaps by-pass the ROM, but with the primary chipset closed
and no longer in production, it all pretty much dead-ends regardless.
I for one would embrace Linux in a heartbeat, since much of what we use
could be re-written as open source, though we'd lose Inkwell. We'd need
some discipline to keep applet design focued on a "common interface
toolbox" or some such so our Newtons still feel mostly like Newtons.

It would be great to have reliable IMAP, SSH, and various internet
applications ported to a Newton via Linux.

> I put some time into a kernel (modified Familiar build) last night,
> after a desperate attempt to build a simple boot loader I think I
> trashed my Newton's ROM.

Could you provide more specifics about this, preferably to this list?
Perhaps kernel details and how you set it up for install on the Newton
for use?

> Has anyone had success even trying to remotely access the system
> RAM/ROM? What steps have been taken in hardware documentation?

There's been some exploration into this posted at
http://www.kallisys.com/?lg=en

I'd be interested to see some formal schematics made of the MP2100 & eMate
as the singular source of all which remains as "MessagePad" and work
around that model for grassroots hardware & Linux development. Something
in league with Compaq's open Itsy PDA.

In the meantime, I'm going to rip open one of my Newtons and write down
chip make/model, check to see if the board is multi-layer, and such. I'd
be happy to consier a special-interest mailing list surrounding this if
people want to provide tips (ie. "You can use this smaller hi-res LCD
planel in place of a 2100 screen).

Hell, how much could one remove off an existing newton to shrink it and
not leave the system in a failure state? I may look into seeing if a card
slot and the expansion port could be disabled & removed. There may also
be newer chip products smaller and compatible with older newton chips.
It would be great to convert the remaining PCMCIA slot into a permanent
Compact-Flash compatible slot (avoiding a converter)
and flat battery packs could replace the bulk of the lower battery tray.

A formal schematic could lead to a good digital layout for re-design and
automatic board prodcution. This could seriously piss off the wrong
people, of course, but I can't imagine anyone persuring Newton re-design
to this point.

-Jeff