Re: [NTLK] Ramblings and Wishes

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_jameswhale.com)
Date: Sun Sep 15 2002 - 00:36:52 PDT

> At home, I connect using either Wifi to ABS or ethernet to switch to =0D=

> ABS. At work, I use any port that is open to connect to the network.=0D=

=0D
And you have experienced the problem from home and from work both?=0D
=0D
> I spoke with Tech Suppout @ my ISP. They figure my Newt is choking on =0D=

> an email which is causing a "POP lock-up". Either I call them and get =0D=

> them to f=ECx it, or I wait until I get home and can download my mail =
to =0D
> my Powerbook... Which somehow magically clears the problem!=0D
=0D
Well, if the number of messages in your mailbox is reduced after you =0D
check mail from your Powerbook, this is no mystery. This could still be =0D=

consistent with the MTU problem.=0D
=0D
> Neither are really satisfactory solutions. They of course had no idea =0D=

> what a Newt is and tried to blame it all on my "slow palm pilot"!=0D
=0D
Sigh... I know the feeling...=0D
=0D
> Which PTIOO client do you suggest? Preferably something easy as I have =
=0D
> never used a Telnet client before.=0D
=0D
Well, there's only one PT100 -- the one from Scrawlsoft. =0D
<http://www.scrawlsoft.com/products/pt100/info.html>.=0D
=0D
But the only outcome of this experiment is just to determine whether =0D
you are encountering the same UIDL/MTU problem I have experienced in =0D
the past. I'm not sure if your problem is caused by this bug or =0D
something else. If yes, there's really no solution (other than possibly =0D=

changing your MTU value in your router, but I don't know if this is =0D
possible with the Airport Base Station) since there's no way to change =0D=

NIE's MTU/MRU settings.=0D
=0D
Does your ISP support IMAP4? I have not encountered this problem when =0D=

using that protocol.=0D
=0D
- -Jeremy=0D
=0D
=0D
- -=0D
Jeremy Bond SHEPHERD | Americans practice different faiths =0D=

in=0D
San Francisco, CA | churches, synagogues, mosques and =0D=

temples.=0D
Internet: jbond_at_jameswhale.com | And many good people practice no =0D
faith=0D
Phone: 415-929-0297 | at all.=0D
ICQ: 72267083 | -- George W. Bush, finally gets it =0D=

right=0D
AIM: jeremybondsf | in his Easter Address of 2002