Re: [NTLK] Best Wireless Card

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 14:51:50 PDT

On 17/09/02 17:31, "hal9000x" <hal9000x_at_mac.com> wrote:

> I am just getting up to speed on wireless with my UMP2000 & MP2100. My
> question: What is the best wireless card available for the Newt and
> where should I buy it? I have seen many card names mentioned on the
> list but I wanted to get some feedback. I will be using the Newton with
> an airport base station at home and hopefully out of the home in some
> wifi nodes in my area.

I don't know if they are the best, but one of the first model to ever come
out, and who was actually used in Apple AirPort base stations was the
WaveLan from Lucent. Since then, Lucent has spun off a division that deals
with those things called Agere (?) and the card is now called "ORiNOCO". I'm
not implying that they are the best, but that's what I use in my Newton.
They are probably more expensive a bit than others, in the $65 range maybe
if you look around. Check buy.com, they must have it.

-Laurent.

fudge: 1. vt. To perform in an incomplete but marginally acceptable way,
particularly with respect to the writing of a program. "I didn't feel like
going through that pain and suffering, so I fudged it -- I'll fix it later."
2. n. The resulting code.