Re: [NTLK] Cable on the Newton?

From: Jesse Garnier (jgarnier_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 10:23:38 PDT

Katarina Gubler wrote not long ago (9/20/02 12:19 PM):

> Here's a question for you! Is it possible to access my cable connection that
> I have at home for Internet access on my Newton rather than using dial up?
> That would be great! Thanks!

Yes, it's very possible.

The first thing you want to do is figure out how to share your Internet
connection among different devices. There are a lot of different ways to do
this; operating systems like XP or OS X 10.2 have internet sharing services
built-in, but may be more difficult to configure or less reliable than, say,
a gateway router of some sort (for example, this Netgear:
http://tinyurl.com/1jx7).

The basic concept is that your devices plug into the router and are all able
to share the single cable modem connection.

Then, once you have your Internet connection shared, you can set up your
Newton to access an Ethernet network, which isn't that tough, but the two
steps are best done separately to keep things simpler and more manageable,
especially for a beginner.

(And not to complicate things too much, but a popular solution these days is
to get a wireless router and a wireless ethernet card for your Newton, so
you can share your Internet connection with your Newton without being tied
to your desk!)

Hope that helps--

--Jesse