[NTLK] MP2100 Buying Advice

From: Steve Woodrow (steev_at_shaw.ca)
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 14:54:29 PDT

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member to this group, but it already seems like an excellent
resource for the Newton community. Now, although I don't have a Newton
yet, I'm working on it, which is the main topic of my post.

I have an opportunity to buy the following package locally:

- Newton MP 2100 in very good condition
  (possibly replaced on warranty?)
- Nylon zippered case for Newton/Keyboard,
  with bulb logo and room for PC cards, etc.
- Keyboard, with box and case
- Serial Dongle
- Newton Print Pack PC parallel printer cable
- PC/Newton serial cord
- AC power transformer
- 3 travel adapters for use with the AC transformer
- Motorola 33.6 PC card modem with RJ-11
  and cell phone dongles
- 32 MB Pretec memory card
- Rechargeable battery pack
  (seems to hold charge)
- AA Battery pack
- 2 PC card slot blanks
- Software
    - Pocket Call Communications Assistant
    - Message Central
    - Accountable personal financial management
    - CD of extras and third party software

I would get everything mentioned above for $400 CAD (which works out to
approximately $260 USD for non-Canadians). Now this seems like an OK
deal to me, but I just wanted to make sure.

An additional 12 MB card could also be purchased, but is it necessary?

Is there anything I should be looking out for with any of this
equipment? I've had a chance to play with it, and all seems well, but I
wanted to know if there are any problems that the 2100 is predisposed
to. Also, if anyone has any other good suggestions, I'd be more than
happy to hear them.

I'm looking forward to getting this Newton (something I've always
wanted), and getting into the community of users that strongly supports
this handheld. Thanks in advance for any advice and tips that the
members of this group can provide. You guys (and gals) are excellent!

Thanks again,
Steve