Re: [NTLK] OT phoneNET

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 16:07:00 PDT

Ed,

> Aaagh! LocalTalk boxes! Keep them away...keep them away!!!!

No, no, this was really nice and with the small files of the day perfectly
usable, very easy to setup and reliable with cheap cable.

Because I don't want to give over a PCMCIA slot to an Ethernet card, my
Newts are on a LocalTalk net connected to a Farallon iPrint to the Ethernet
and the PowerBooks. For all the file transfers with NCU and X-Port it's
instantaneous.

Backups are faster with Ethernet but frankly I can't get exercised by the
difference when I am saving the Newts' slots from wear and tear and the
swapping of cards to back them up as well. Saves power too and works with
all my Newts transparently.

LocalTalk was ahead in it's day and made life a lot easier for individuals
and small businesses who were pioneering with the Mac.

Joel.