Re: [NTLK] Coveting my neighbour's Clie

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 20:25:41 PDT

I has an excellent oportunity to show off the Newton
this afternoon!
We were talking "blue-sky" (that's technical dreams of
the future that are so "out there" they seem
impossible, except only to the realm of the
imagination) When I told my vision of the future of
computing.
Everyone here knows it and have read something of it
(I've written snippets of what I believe the future
should hold for computing devices) and I mentioned to
one of our Solaris geeks, "Wouldn't it be nice if you
had a device that would infer what you want instead of
taking what you say litterally? Wouldn't it be grand
if you could type the word "tne" and the computer
would "think" 'hmmm, there is no word "tne" and
looking at my history, this word should be "the"' and
then the computer replaces it with "the"? Wouldn't
that be grand? The Solaris person agreed that it
would!
So, I showed him the Newton! I wrote the word "tne"
and the Newton interpreted it as "the" I then wrote
the word "tnere" and "tnis" and the Newton came up
with the correct spellings for both words. I told him
that I had told the Newt that I sometimes write the
letter "h" as an "n" and to swap these letters when it
sees this problem.
He was really impressed.
I then said, wouldn't it be wonderful if you can tell
the computer to do something, and it would interpret
what you say and combine it's tools to complete the
task you assign?
Again, he said yes, but suspected that my Newt would
show him how it handles the task. I asked him to
schedule a meeting with someone in his address book
and have it schedule in the day planner on his palm.
Needless to say, after several dozen taps and some
frustrating "huffs" I showed him how the Newt does it.
I then performed an assist "Meet with Karl next
wednesday at 2:00 pm"
Again, he was impressed...so much so, that he couldn't
stand to have the Newton talk to him! He made me put
it away when I told him that it was no longer being
made and the technology he was looking at was over 5
years old! He quickly placed his palm in it's cradle
and we talked some more "blue sky". I was pleased.
Ed (Happy October Fest!)
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
http://65.84.243.167

--- Woo Lee <vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> Cruel, Ed, that's just cruel. :-o
> Just writing on the screen normally should be
> enough, but nooo, you have =
> to show them the 'Newton Screen of Life'.
> Oh the humanity...<sniff><sniff>, is that ribs I
> smell BBQ'ing? :-P

=====
"Bush, himself the most intellectually backward American president of my political lifetime, is surrounded by advisers whose bellicosity is exceeded only by their political, military and diplomatic illiteracy,"
 - Gerald Kaufman, a lawmaker from the governing British Labor Party