Re: [NTLK] ok. need help getting started

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 12:57:04 PDT

On 27/09/02 16:00, "dannyzumwalt_at_mac.com" <dannyzumwalt_at_mac.com> wrote:

> I just got my newton 2100 in the mail today. I am currently on a PC and have
> the PC serial cable fromt he com port on the pc to the newton port on the top
> of the newton.
>
> What do I need in order to start putting "packages?" onto the newton. I have a
> Dell Ethernet pc card (made by 3COM) that I need drivers for.. I want to be
> able to get on the internet from anywhere there is an open dhcp server that i
> can plug ethernet into.. if someone can help me, please do! :)
>
> Also, I read someone streams shoutcast through ethernet to the newton
> speaker.. how can I do this?
>

> AND :) sorry I am so new, what else can anyone recommend for me to check out
> from unna.org or anywhere else that is good for running on the newton?
>

> oh, and the ethernet card that i got says "10BASE-T/10BASE-2" I know what
> base-t is, but what is base-2???

To start installing packages, you need something like "Newton Connection
Utilities" that you can find on UNNA <http://www.unna.org>, in the Apple
section (I think that this question should be clearly listed on the FAQ
somewhere. I know that there are full descriptions of all Apple software,
but it's probably not clear to a new person that they even need one of those
piece of software).

You won't be able to use that Ethernet card because there is no driver for
it for the Newton. Check <http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet> for a list
of supported cards.

-Laurent.

creationism n.: The (false) belief that large, innovative software designs
can be completely specified in advance and then painlessly magicked out of
the void by the normal efforts of a team of normally talented programmers.
In fact, experience has shown repeatedly that good designs arise only from
evolutionary, exploratory interaction between one (or at most a small
handful of) exceptionally able designer(s) and an active user population --
and that the first try at a big new idea is always wrong. Unfortunately,
because these truths don't fit the planning models beloved of management,
they are generally ignored.