Re: [NTLK] 10.2 and NCU continued

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 21:15:05 PDT

on 27/09/02 23:58, Diana Oakley at dianajoakley_at_highstream.net wrote:

> I tried everything suggested: had remembered that I had upgraded to
> 10.2.1; turned on Appletalk in 10.2.1 and 9.2.2; the system preferences
> (in 10.2.2)/classic/advanced preference in home folder box was already
> unchecked.
>
> I made sure that system preferences/network/appletalk is on - the
> location selected to "automatic" because I don't have any locations
> (the only part of all of this that I find confusing), I don't think,
> since I'm only dealing with one computer and no real networks.
>
> Whenever I open NCU from 10.2.1 which causes Classic to load and NCU
> opens, it tells me that Appletalk isn't on, when I know it is because
> if I reboot into 9.2.2 Appletalk is on. If I quit NCU and Classic and
> then fully reboot in 9.2.2, Appletalk is indeed on.

I've never activated that classic/advanced preference and it has always
worked. The only thing I can suggest is, once in NCU, check the preferences
to make sure it's trying to connect through AppleTalk and uncheck the serial
connection, since there is no serial communication in OS X, even if your
computer has a serial port. If you have a serial to USB adapter, then that's
a different story.

The only other thing that is different in your setup from my setup is that I
don't use a crossover cable, but a switch.

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
casting the runes n.: What a guru does when you ask him or her to run a
particular program and type at it because it never works for anyone else;
esp. used when nobody can ever see what the guru is doing different from
what J. Random Luser does. Compare incantation, runes, examining the
entrails; also see the AI koan about Tom Knight in "Some AI Koans" (Appendix
A).