Re: [NTLK] Install packages with Jaguar & Ethernet

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 05:35:57 PST

on 01/04/03 07:57, Luiz Petroni at lpetroni_at_compassoarte.com.br wrote:

> It was really very easy to setup and connect my 12"PB and Newton with
> Delivery (cool piece of software and the icon is very good).
>
> But I'm experiencing a problem with the activation of the packages.
>
> Do I need to use some kind of PackType app when I move all my packages
> from MacOS9 to MacOS X?
> If not why is this package activation error occuring?

You mean, a package activation on the Newton? If it's on the Newton, then
your desktop has nothing to do with it. There is probably already a package
that has been activated earlier that causes those problems on your Newton.
If you need to know for sure, freeze all your packages, then thaw them one
by one and reboot (soft) the Newton each time. Or, you might want to start
with the last package that was properly activated. Then, if you still have
the error, freeze again the last package to be activated correctly. And so
on. Would you happen to have WorksBetter by any chance? I know this one to
be causing a lot of those package activation problems and I had to modify
its name to force it to load the last.

-Laurent.

fat electrons n.: Old-time hacker David Cargill's theory on the causation of
computer glitches. Your typical electric utility draws its line current out
of the big generators with a pair of coil taps located near the top of the
dynamo. When the normal tap brushes get dirty, they take them off line to
clean them up, and use special auxiliary taps on the bottom of the coil.
Now, this is a problem, because when they do that they get not ordinary or
`thin' electrons, but the fat'n'sloppy electrons that are heavier and so
settle to the bottom of the generator. These flow down ordinary wires just
fine, but when they have to turn a sharp corner (as in an integrated-circuit
via), they're apt to get stuck. This is what causes computer glitches.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html