Re: [NTLK] Apple iPad

From: Dylan Stewart (rxs015500_at_utdallas.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 16:42:51 PST

On 04.4.03 at 20:38:31, Bog Rat wrote:
> <RANT>
> Well, really any iPad would be a down grade on the Newton. This would
> be because the whole PDA would be smaller than the screen, how about
> they just bring out a built in 802.11g,Bluetooth and ATA, as the
> 802.11g would resolve all of the continual Newbie - Wi-fi posts.
> </RANT>

This white enclosure that MacWhispers is describing is 132mm * 188mm *
24.6mm. With a 7.5mm bezel, that comes out to an 8.222" screen. That is
larger than the Newton's. Much larger. With Apple's relationship with CMO
and CMO's new technique of producing OLEDs on amorphous silicon, Apple
should be able to be the first company to bring an OLED based portable
computer to the market. That would put them in a very favorable position
relative to PocketPC makers.

Integrated 802.11g would take up massive amounts of power. 802.11b is more
likely since it is less complex (read: slower) and therefore, it would
require less power. Of course, with Apple's power saving technologies, I
wouldn't be particularly surprised if 802.11g didn't take nearly as much
power as I think it does. So, perhaps 802.11something, and perhaps not.
Make it an option.

Built in Bluetooth is almost assured. Apple is putting it into EVERYTHING.
They are even making it internal to PowerMacs. Why do that if they aren't
going to start releasing their own Bluetooth devices? Internal Bluetooth
would also allow the predicted keyboard to be used with this handheld.
Quite an impressive feature if I do say so myself.

ATA is, of course, a necesity. The device will likely have a Compact Flash
slot (unless it has PCMCIA, that it) for easy transfer of photos from
digital cameras. The idea of a screensaver is preposterous if it is going
to use an OED display. OLEDs gradually decay similarly to our green
friends' backlights. Of course, the displays should be cheap enough to buy
replacements every few thousand hours. Well, the point is that you wouldn't
want to use OLEDs for a digital photo frame just yet. Of course, if it is
going to use a standard TFT, then there would be no problem setting it up
with a screen saver that turns it into a digital photo frame when it isn't
being used.

 Dylan Stewart AC5ZH

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html