[NTLK] Newton Case Hack/Mod

From: magicpenguin_at_torpedobird.com
Date: Mon Apr 07 2003 - 20:02:59 PDT

Hello all,
I am currently attempting a project to modify the casing plastics of my
newton 2100 to give it an effect similar to the original clamshell
iBooks (or if you have other ideas/designs, feel free to post!). I have
already bought another case plastic "set," so as not to damage the
original. I have done a couple macintosh computer case mods, and that
is usually pretty easy. Krylon paint, dremel tool, sand paper, time,
etc. and you are good. However the newton is a small, and precious
little thing, and I want this to look good and professional. I am
asking for any think-out-loud thoughts on this, as well as possibly
answers to some questions.
I have already seen the white newton on
http://newtontraveler.com/white.html, but was wondering if there were
any other mods besides that? I have gotten in touch with the creator
over there, and he has explained some basics to the painting.
Secondly, How hard is it to make, or get made, custom plastic molds of
various colours? This could be a very interesting avenue for the
casing, or atleast parts. (Like the pinstriping in the iBooks and the
LCD monitors and such)
I am thinking about getting a SER-001 board as part of this project,
but was wondering what else can be used by the expansion connector
there. Particularly, I have seen several audio jack hacks done, but do
any of these supply stereo out? is the newton even capable of stereo?
And lastly, thank you for reading this, and if I am crazy, feel free to
tell me so!

~The Penguin/Ben
magicpenguin_at_torpedobird.com
AIM: thinkpenguin