Re: [NTLK] Road warrior

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 01:42:51 PDT

On Monday, April 7, 2003, at 05:38 PM, edwardmccaughan wrote:

> just out of curiosity, what is a road warrior anyway. i know its
> someone who goes out on the road for ages with nothing but a trusted
> mac or newt for company, but what excactly do you do when you are out
> warioring?
> ive never actually found that out.

I haven't seen anybody answer this, so I'll take a stab at it. :-)
(apologies to anybody who did respond and give a better answer)

A road warrior is a person who travels for business, and uses a laptop.
Generally, they travel quite extensively, being on the road multiple
days a week. I don't think there is one "definition" but anybody who
lives out of their briefcase or out of an overnight bag would qualify,
I presume. :-) In any case, someone who plies his trade and earns his
keep traveling would be a road warrior.

For myself, my wife and I traveled the eastern US for several years in
an itinerant ministry. We would be on the road for two or three months
at a time. From late '94 to mid '97, my Newton 120 was our primary
computer, as the only other computer we had was a Performa 600CD
desktop. We used the Newton for everything, including email. In fact,
we both used that Newton for our email. And I was on NewtonTalk for
most of that time. :-) Granted, NTLK didn't get the volume of mail it
gets now, but I was also on at least one other mailing list.

During that time, I used the Newton for all correspondence, including
printing letters and envelopes (In fact, I created a letterhead that
left room for the address that prints when you choose to print a letter
on the Newton--it looked pretty neat). I used the Newton to keep track
of my schedule and to help schedule further meetings and take care of
my mailing list. I used PocketMoney to track all of our traveling
expenses and auto mileage. For email, we used AOL and Aloha. I
personally believe it was faster than SimpleMail, although not as
flexible. Looking back on it, I'm amazed that we could go several
months using just my 120 for our main computer, but we did it, and I
could do it even easier than back then, using my 2100. Everything I
need for keeping a traveling ministry going is right here on my Newton.
It wouldn't be as much fun, but it certainly is possible. I now have a
Pismo PowerBook, so the Newton is relegated to keeping track of my
schedule and traveling expenses, but it serves supremely in these
tasks. It also does duty as a backup letter writer and envelope
printer. It works great with my SW 1200--better, in fact, than my Pismo.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland