[NTLK] My first experience with Escale

From: Pascal Massün (pascal.massun_at_skynet.be)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 11:31:04 PDT

First of all I'd like to thank Michael, Nicolas and Paul for their
continuous effort in making this little gem still at the edge of technology=
.

And now my first use of Escale.

Installation (as far as you could call it installation on MacOSX) went like
a breeze. Starting up Escale gave no problem whatsoever. Very nice
application icon ! Looks neat in my Dock.
The Escale main window is very clear. The possibility of changing the
buttonbar is welcome feature. Concerning the preferences, the makers wanted
to keep it simple, well it is simple. Besides the connectionspeed I didn't
change anything.

Right. Now on my MP21k. Ethernetcard installed, the dock tcp/ip extension
installed. Tapping the Dock gives me the slip were I can tap the connect
button (using zeroconf). I get the server slip where I can select my TiBook=
,
select it and bingo Escale and Dock are connected ! The Dock presents me th=
3 possibilities: install package, keyboard and synchronise.
Sometimes when connecting I get a slip mentioning a communications error.
The Dock comes up though and Escale says it's connected to the Newton.

Installing packages.
As a test I installed the new version of the NDPS pkgs. I started the
install from Escale. Selected a pkg and on the main window a pkg showed up
on the Newton icon and the text "installing package" appears. With some
delay the dock reacts and the familiar slip appears installing the package.
The installation was successful. On the main window of Escale the pkg
drawing disappeared, but the text did not (cosmetic bug).
After installing 5 pkgs in a row Escale ended unexpectedly, as said by
MacOSX. On my Newton I got error 4xxxx and something (didn't write it down)

Keyboard.
Did not try this yet.

Synchronise.
Started it from Escale and the synchronise slip on my Newton came up (and
the complete screen went blank). The slip mentioned at first information,
afterwards Names. After some time the synchronisation process was done.
Checked the result in addressbook. Alas, no result. Changes made in Names
were not synchronised in Addressbook. Changes made since the first
synchronisation by nSync (another fine tool). Didn't try it again yet. I
await other experiences.

Bon.=20
In a nutshell:
Package installation: stable
Keyboard: not tested
Synchronise: not successful

All in all, it looks like the Newton has a promising future with my TiBook =
!
I hope will see the backup and restore function very soon !

Best regards,

Pascal Mass=FCn @ Oostende Belgium
ICT Servicemanager, KBC Bank&Insurance
"My taste is very simple, I'm always satisfied with the best"

=20

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html