Re: [NTLK] faralon etherwave help on emate

From: John Ruschmeyer (jruschme_at_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 04:29:23 PDT

On Thursday, April 17, 2003, at 02:16 AM, Alex wrote:

> ok... trying to set up a farallon ethernet etherwave device to use with
> an appletalk conection to my mac. Installed all the NIE2.0 packages on
> the emate, then realized I didnt really have to, bc this etherwave thing
> is not seen as an ethernet card.. it connects over serial to the
> emate...
> so... when I try to select in appletalk prefs on the emate "connect via
> ethertalk", it asks for a driver.. when i put nothing, it reverts back
> "connect via localtalk".
> I tried the connection... lights flashing on the etherwave when I select
> ethernet in appletalk on the mac... but then when I try to connect using
> dock on the emate... all i get is the emate searching, no lights on the
> adapter... no activity.
>
> Wondering if anyone can figure what I am doing wrong here... or is this
> just a stupid thing to be trying to figure out at 2am...

You want to use the LocalTalk setting, not the Ethernet one.

Explanation- An EtherWave Mac/PB adapter works in two modes. With no
drivers loaded, it is a dumb LocalTalk-EtherTalk bridge; speed is
limited to LocalTalk speed, but will connect to an Ethernet network. The
only issue is that no TCP/IP is available unless you do MacIP (IP over
LocalTalk) which requires a special gateway elsewhere on the LAN.

With an appropriate driver loaded on the system with the EtherWave, it
can support a faster mode of operation and TCP/IP. The problem is- *if*
Farallon ever made a Newton driver for the EtherWave, it is on an
unobtanium diskette. (I have seen references to an "EtherWave Newton
Adapter", but nothing on what, if any, software came with it.)

<<<john>>>

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html