Re: [NTLK] [OT] TiBook wireless range (compared to Newton)

From: Brian Pearce (bpearce_at_cloud9.net)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 08:47:02 PDT

> I had heard TiBooks weren't great in this regard because of the metal
> case
> surrounding the internal antenna. But this is ridiculous. Can anyone
> tell
> me if my experience is normal, or should I suspect a defective AirPort
> card?
> Would it be much better with an iBook?

My "clamshell" iBook has terrific AirPort reception from anywhere in
the house. (By comparison, my flat panel iMac will only manage 2-3
"bars" in the same room where the iBook is going full strength.) The
MessagePad will almost always get good reception, because the antenna
sticks out the side.

I've read most of the same complaints you have about AirPort reception
with the late-model PowerBooks; you might try checking to make sure the
cable that attatches to the card is well-connected. Occasionally, the
cable will be pinched by a hinge (this happens on occasion with the
iBooks, at least), though I'm not sure you'd be able to tell if this
were the case.

Just in the last week or so, a device was introduced to help solve this
problem; an antenna that sits in the PCMCIA slot. See
<http://www.quickertek.com/> for details.

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html