Re: [NTLK] [OT] TiBook wireless range (compared to Newton)

From: Jens Baumeister (jensbaumeister_at_web.de)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 10:31:16 PDT

Am Freitag, 18.04.03 um 17:22 Uhr schrieb Michael Blazer:

> I just put an AirPort card in my Titanium PowerBook, and the range is
> so
> poor it's almost useless. Unless it's in the same room as the base
> station
> (SMC7004VWBR) it can't hang on to a connection for more than a few
> minutes.

[...]
> I had heard TiBooks weren't great in this regard because of the metal
> case
> surrounding the internal antenna. But this is ridiculous. Can anyone
> tell
> me if my experience is normal, or should I suspect a defective AirPort
> card?

This doesn't sound normal, at least it's not my experience. I can use
my TiBook without problems through one wall, it gets a bit trickier
with 2 walls in between - reception is good close to the door but
degrades rapidly when turning away from it. (The Newton can still
connect without a hitch; then again the SkyLine card's antenna is
sticking out, of course.)

Jens

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html