Re: [NTLK] [NTLK]Case Cracking from SER-001?

From: Shawn H (unity_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 07:33:49 PDT

I asked about this same problem in an earlier post. While the SER001
design is simple and VERY effective, not to mention a life-save for
those with a bad interconnect port, its tolerances are not exacting to
it case surroundings. This is not a design flaw, but rather a parts
supply issue. If Apple were to have made something like an SER001 the
serial port would probably be custom Apple made/designed.

The flaw seems to be with the serial port itself, its too "tall". My
unit has been properly seated, for sure, and I have a small "slit" in
the case around the port. If I were to fully tighten the Newton's screw
I would warp and crack my case.

What I did to fix: I used a file and shaved off as much of the top of
the white serial port as I can. I also used a sharp blade to remove the
tab, that would hold the port, on the Newt's case. This shortened the
serial port a bit and allowed the case to close a lot better. BE CAREFUL
if you file the port, the material files of very easily.

This seems to work for me, and maybe for those with similar case closing
issues. Either way I love the SER001 and I think it's the best
third-party solution for the MP2K.

 Shawn Hamachek