[NTLK] Oronico Cards Question

From: Nancy Haitz (nhaitz_at_newted.dyndns.org)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 18:27:13 PDT

Hi all,

I am still a dumb newbie with the Newton, but learning lots from all of
you.

I am currently using a Proxim Skyline PCMCIA card to connect my Newton
2100 wirelessly to our DSL router. After the initial stumbling around
getting everything configured I have zero complaints about the
capabilities of the Proxim card. However, WEP does not work on this
card, with Hirochi's driver. So, I am a little concerned about the
security of our network using only the Router's firewall and MAC
addressing to keep out the bad guys.

Many of your have raved about the Lucent Orinoco Gold and Silver cards.
  And, it supports the WEP features of our router on the Newton. I am
considering getting one. From what I can tell, this card is still
being made and sold new at retail, and used on ebay. Could someone
tell me if the new card currently being sold at MicroWarehouse (and
others) is the card I want for the Newton. You can read about it here

<http://www2.warehouse.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid=DEC4136&cat=pc&blind
It is also listed on Proxim's site here
     <
http://www.proxim.com/products/all/orinoco/client/pccard/index.html>
Or, am I all wrong, and the card you folks all use is another version???

I am also interested in the Lucent chip set, as it apparently will work
with KisMAC. Not that I am interested in Warchalking the Midwest, but
it is great for checking your own system's weaknesses.

Are there any closet KisMAC users out there? I would love to exchange
info with your off list. Fantastic program. Zero user's
documentation. Leaves me dazed and confused as usual.

Nancy

PS: This Saturday my Newton will be going on its first road trip. It
will be going off to a trade show with me... keeping notes and tax
deductibles, checking email, reading Harry Potter on the plane, and
other delights! In the past, I dragged along a laptop and a Palm.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html