Re: [NTLK] WEP vs Airport

From: Jon Wright (jgw_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 02:21:09 PDT

Well the list was really helpful and I would like to thank everyone
that responded and an extra special thankyou to Darrell Greenwood who
contacted me direct with lots of advice.

Quick summary:
  - Using WaveLAN Gold with 128bit WEP to white airport (not extreme)
  - Powerbook/G3 using 128bit WEP and airport card
  - iMac/G4 using ethernet direct to airport
nBlog works between Newton and iMac, NCU does not!
nBlog and NCU work between Newton and Powerbook.

A number of people thought that the problem might be related to DHCP
but I was actually using hard allocated IP addresses. A bit of sniffing
and research suggests that the problem may be related to the type of
ethernet frames involved. NCU is using appletalk over ethernet
(sometimes called ethertalk) and this uses a particular type of
ethernet frame (called SNAP) while the nBlog connection would use the
more normal 802.2 frame.

Without more tools to investigate the problem I can't be sure but it
appears that the SNAP frames are not being encapsulated correctly when
WEP is turned on. This may be a problem in the WEP encoding at the
Newton end BUT it may also be a problem with the airport bridge which
is passing the packets from the WEP/wireless side over to the ethernet
side.

Anyway, I would like to thank everyone for their help. For the time
being I will be backing up my Newton(s) to the powerbook until one of
the new u-beaut options (like Escale or NewtSync) can take over.

Thanks again,

Jon

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html