Re: [NTLK] [NTLK]Case Cracking from SER-001?

From: Joost van de Griek (joost_at_jvdg.net)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 08:30:23 PDT

On 2003-04-29 17:41, Ben Klang wrote:

>> your SER-001 is properly seated. I've read that you can stop a crack
>> from spreading by drilling a small hole at the terminus of the crack - I
>
> This is standard practice among airplanes. When you get a crack in wing
> fairings a cheap way to "fix" the problem is to drill that small hole in
> the plastic. It keeps you from having to replace the fairings until
> they are *really* bad.

Same with cracked cymbals on drum kits.

Be aware, though, that the visible end of of a crack isn't necessarily the
ectual end, too. More often than not, the crack is longer than it would
appear, but too small to be seen (hairline crack). In such cases, drill
holes all you want, the crack will still continue to grow bigger.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
 /~\   The ASCII Ribbon Campaign: