Re: [NTLK] NIC for my Powerbook + Newton?

From: Chris Ruprecht (chris_at_ruprecht.org)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 11:03:26 PDT

What you need to install this:

1. Get the driver version 2.2 from Farallon for their 595 (I think, IIRC)
PCMCIA card and install it on the machine.
2. Reboot
3. copy the modified file into the extension folder
4. reboot

If you omit setp 1 and 2, you have a machine which will not boot (happened to
me a few times, initially).

What the modification is:

I suspected the Farallon card to be a 3Com OEM version of the 3C589 (I still
do)
The only difference between the drivers is the replacement or the string
"aral" (as in letter 2 - 5 of "Farallon") with the string "Com " (as in
letters 2 - 4 of 3Com plus a space).
I initially went ahead with the Norton Disk Editor and messed changed that
(MacOS 7.5.something) and to my great astonishment, it did work. The package
I sent to Terry, I modified with ResEdit, if I remember correctly, the string
is in the INIT resource.

The driver works for all 3C589 and 3C589B - 3C589D cards, I have not tried any
later cards.

Best regards,
Chris

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html