Re: [NTLK] Package Installs and Backups in OS X

From: Technoir Support (technoir_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 22:44:25 PDT

On Mercredi, avril 30, 2003, at 05:10 PM, Paul Guyot wrote:

> Il me semble que le 30/4/03 =E0 17:03 -0400, Technoir Support nous=20
> racontait:
>> yes i have the same problem with escale. AppleTalk works fine over=3D20=

>> etherner, but TCP/IP fails after an attempt to reach the server,=20
>> even=3D20
>> though it shows in the chooser.
>
> Maybe we can work together on fixing this problem.
> - is the firewall disabled?
> - what is your Newton's IP? What is your Mac's IP (as seen in the
> browser for example)?
> - if you run Apache on your Mac, can you access it with Newtscape or=20=

> NetHopper?
>
> Paul

hey Paul here's the scoop
first of all. i have found DCL AppleTalk with Escale to be very=20
reliable for pkg installation. i have not really tested the other=20
functions extensively.
as for tcp/ip i don't use the firewall, but still i added the port you=20=

mentioned to the allow list.
apache is running and i can view my index.html.
and Hey! look at that, i just tried tcp/ip and managed to connect. i=20
installed plan80 successfully. the keyboard function froze the newt=20
[although my impotent 2k does that fairly often]. this was all done=20
using manual settings in the newt dock tcp/ip. then i tried zero_conf=20
and again connected! i could get file listing temporarily, but then it=20=

washed out with a mDNS error [a communication error has occured]. then=20=

a few more error slips. also, Escale seems to require restarting if any=20=

comm errors occur.
this sure aint criticism though! you and the DCL crew are truly L337=20
VV1Z4|2|)Z! keep up le bon travail =3D)

scotty technoir=

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html