Re: [NTLK] GPS (WAS) newtontalk Digest V3 #422

From: Matthew Boulanger (matthewboulanger_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2003 - 17:52:51 PDT

Brian-

Yes, WAAS is really not a 'final product' yet. In reality (at least in Vermont) we haven't experienced any outages or gaps in service though.

For others who don't know about it but want to learn, I suggest:
http://gpsinformation.net/exe/waas.html

For a really quick introduction to the benefits of WAAS, Garmin has a neat webpage at:
http://www.garmin.com/aboutGPS/waas.html

Really, the point I was trying to make was that the Trimble unit for sale really won't compare to modern units. For 99$, I'd much rather get a newer unit that will give me better performance. Submeter accuracy for most people is a pipe dream (unless you have a huge budget, and a sucker for a boss/accountant). A 199$ Magellan handheld unit will give most people the accuracy they need for boating, hiking, driving, etc. Couple that with a 20$ serial cable (or build your own at home!) and it connects right to the Newton. For my money, it's a much better investment.

Yes, yes, yes, I would love to have a PC card receiver to go with my military case, and get my hands on a Leica rangefinder, and really make my coworker (a recent Newton convert, and ex-marine) VERY jealous...but I can't justify it.

What I'm interested in though is a piece of software that will speak with a total station laser transit for logging points while terrain mapping. Any suggestions?

For more info on GPS, data-logging, and the Newton, I recommend Nick Ryan's review of Fieldworker at:
http://intarch.ac.uk/journal/issue3/reviews/ryan.html

Also, for those using Fieldworker and ArcView (not sure if there is anyone else out there), you can use a quick little extension to import your data. Can be found at :
http://www.stchome.com/software/gis/default.asp

Eventually I hope to do up a website to describe what I'm up to, and the research I'm doing...but time is precious, and I'm in front of the computer all day as it is!

-Matt

BTW, Brian, what exactly do you do?

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html