Re: [NTLK] courier

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 22:02:45 PDT

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:17:46 +0100, Thomas Hart wrote:
> Thanks for the info on domain name entries. Now another question. Never
> having used my Newton with the cable modem, I need some help there too.
> I remember reading that I need to shut down the modem, plug in the
> Newton's falaron card, the cable and then turn the modem on again in
> order get it to recognise its connection. Is this so?

It does sound a bit strange... usually, you should be able to simply
unplug your other device (PowerBook...) from the modem and plug the
Newton in without switching the modem off.

> Because the time
> the modem takes to 'find' itself again, doesn't make this terribly
> convenient. Or can I just manually set up all the info from my PB on the
> Newt's internet setup?

If you have a static IP address assigned to you by your ISP, then you
can do exactly that. You would have to copy the IP address, the subnet
mask and the DNS server entries.

If you have a dynamic IP address (i.e. DHCP), you can simply set the
configuration method to Server or DHCP on the Newton.

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html