Re: [NTLK] free USB-to-IRDA adapter

From: RossO (newton_at_ordersomewherechaos.com)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 16:56:49 PDT

On Tuesday, August 19, 2003, at 03:44 PM, Steve Tedder wrote:
> I don't know if this adapter will work with a Newton, but at this
> price, I'm going to try it out. Check Dealnews.com for links. Two-day
> shipping was $5.95.
>
> Cables Unlimited USB to Infrared adapter for $0 after rebate
> Fry's Outpost.com renewed its stock of the Cables Unlimited USB-1500
> USB to Infrared adapter for $30. See
> <http://dealnews.com/artclick.html?54947,75666> A $30 mail-in rebate
> knocks the net price to $0 . Add around $5 for shipping. Rebate ends
> August 31, 2003.

I had been meaning to post about this.

At the Fry's in Wilsonville (Portland) Oregon, they have a huge stack
of them for $20 and a $20 mail-in rebate. I got one, and just to be
sure, I plugged it into my iBook annnnnnd

No go.

There are no Mac drivers for this IrDA-USB Bridge chip (SigmaTel
Ir4200) from what I can tell. There are plenty of Windows drivers, but
nothing for Mac OS 9 or X.

Does anyone here have any ideas on how one would write a driver for
something like this? I realize that there's not a huge market for this,
but it would be an interesting project. I'm more than happy to donate
the one I bought to whomever would like to work with it.

Sigmatel even has a lot of specs for the chip, which I believe would be
enough to communicate with it, or at least put IRCOMM over it.

I can send the info I've collected to who ever would like to see it.

...Ross...

--
What should I do with my life?
          "Agitate. Agitate, Agitate." - Frederick Douglass