Re: [NTLK] temperature

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 02:10:15 PDT

Rodney,

I have an article which described eMates being used in the field by students
using "eProbe hardware and software from the software developer Knowledge
Revolution.

Sensors connected to the eMate and the software allow students to read
sampled data directly as a graph or as a table."

"In this field trip the students would be using the eMates together with
probes from Knowledge Revolution, perhaps best known among educators for its
Interactive Physics program. Knowledge Revolution has designed a set of
science meters called eProbes. The hardware consists of sensors that connect
to an interface box that in turn attaches to the serial port of the eMate.
Data from the sensors may be tabulated or graphed either manually or
automatically. Students can set the frequency and duration of the samples.
The software can record data from two probes simultaneously."

I found a statement at <http://www.vernier.com/til/382.html> which is
interesting:

"Vernier Tech Info Library TIL # 382

Question:What can you tell me about the eProbe software and probes for the
eMate system?

Answer:In the Spring of 1997, Knowledge Revolution began bundling our Serial
Box Interface and a few of our sensors with their e-Probe software and
selling it directly through Apple. As of September of 1999, eMate is no
longer sold and Knowledge Revolution has stopped selling or supporting the
eProbe software they used to make. Knowledge Revolution's official stance is
that they no longer support the eMate in any way. We checked with Knowledge
Revolution about the software, and they told us that they do not even have a
copy. They also told us that if we found a copy, they are no longer
enforcing any of the licensing on eProbe, and it would be OK to give it to
people."

So it might be possible to get the SW from them and look for the HW or adapt
it to one of Vernier's products - the Mac version might well work.

A Google search with "Knowledge Revolution eprobe" will find lots of hits.

It has also been discussed here:
<http://www.newtontalk.net/archive/may2000/0274.html>

Joel.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html