Re: [NTLK] Color Classic and the Newt

From: Cheyanne & Randy (bayoubuddies_at_sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 22:47:35 PDT

On Saturday, Aug 23, 2003, at 22:40 US/Central, Robert JA Basilio Jr.
wrote:

> Just got a 16 Mhz Mac Color Classic with 8MB RAM and 80 MB hard drive
> running Mac OS 7.6.1. Is a connection with the Newt possible? Thanks.
>
> Robert

Hi Robert,

        Your Classic should work fine... NCU might want more RAM. When I
checked "get info" on my copy of NCU the minimum memory requirement is
4MB. I don't think that OS7.6.1 uses that much RAM. If you have a 32MB
memory card NCU will not manage to back it up on your Classic. :-) If
it were me, I would make sure that NCU is all I have running when I
hooked up the newton. Once a month or so I connect and back up with my
darling old Duo280, named Zippy, with Mac Os 8.1 as an
"extra-extra-just-in-case-everything-else-fails" back-up." It always
amazes me how long it takes to do a back-up with Zippy and a serial
cable after doing back-ups with the iBook via WiFi. Don't sit around
watching NCU back-up your newton on these old 680x0 Macs unless you
have a really dull life or it's your first ever exciting back-up of you
new Newton. :-)

keep the green glow going,

Randy

--
"The surest way to corrupt youth is to instruct them to hold in higher
      esteem those who think alike than those that think differently"