Re: [NTLK] Please Talk Me Out of This! - Long Sorry.

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 15:23:39 PDT

Il me semble que le 29/08/03 à 17:50 -0400, David Deranian nous racontait:
>So last night I'm on the Pen Computing website, and I read this review
>of the new Sony Clie UX50. Built-in wireless, built-in Bluetooth. A
>color display with a pretty high resolution in a horizontal position
>that also rotates for keyboard use or for touchscreen use. Brand new
>Sony designed ARM processor, the list goes on and on with regard to
>having one device that does nearly everything imaginable from quick
>snapshots that you can email wirelessly, to playing video at 30 fps.
>I'll stop here, because I'll include the link at the end of this
>message for anyone that would like to check it out.

Dave,

It's a matter of needs. I'm not an extremist of Newton evangelism. I
don't tell people to go Newton anytime.

I will tell you a story. Two days ago, a close friend of mine asked
me to check her mail to make sure that a .doc she sent from another
computer arrived properly in her mailbox. That documented included 10
lines of notes from an interview, and she didn't want to leave it on
the computer she sent it from.

She is a Palm user. Like her, I need to take notes anytime, but I
don't have a kind soul to call to check that the notes arrived
properly. I just take my Newton when I don't have my PowerBook. And
it's much faster for me. I don't care about carrying the Newton,
since I'm not a lady with a little purse ;)

If your needs mean Bluetooth, if your needs include video at 30 fps,
if your needs require quick snapshots, then go Sony Clie. I don't say
this ironically, I mean it. I never tried to convince my friend to go
Newton. Her Palm does nearly all she needs and is small enough to be
carried anywhere. But she hardly ever writes anything on it, she uses
her iMac instead and synchronize the Newton. She knows about all her
appointments like this, and since she works at her home, she takes
appointments and phone numbers on her iMac. I really think her Palm
is a better choice for her.

It's not for me. For me it's a Newton MP2100. Because I can take
lengthy notes in a class or a seminar as on paper. Because I can
prepare an e-mail of these notes to someone who asked me, come back
home, put the wireless card in and tell SimpleMail to send the mails.
I don't feel any need for bluetooth. I don't feel any need for 30 fps
videos. I don't feel any need for a color screen. My Newton is there
to process data, information, and the information that matters for me
is not colored nor animated. The way to input it is primarily the
pen, so I can input data anywhere, anytime. I enjoy watching movies,
but I prefer the PowerBook screen or the TV set.

I don't think I'm blind. I don't have a cell phone but I'm not
deaf-mute either. I probably won't be the last to leave the platform.
When I'll find something better for my needs, I'll abandon my Newton
in favor of this thing like I abandonned my Filofax years ago in
favor of a MP2000. In fact, a knowledge navigator that would fit
folded in 5x5x1 cm would do it ;)

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/