Re: [NTLK] Please Talk Me Out of This! - Long Sorry.

From: Mark Bock (markbvt_at_adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 16:01:52 PDT

>Yes I am playing devil's advocate here. Is it the screen size and form
>factor mostly? Handwriting recognition? I feel strongly that there MUST
>be something I'm missing that would help me to understand WHY a device
>as powerful and comprehensive as the Sony Clie UX50 would not be
>considered a serious contender by the people on this list as a Newton
>replacement. Could the newest Palm Operating System be that bad?

I've asked myself exactly the same questions you bring up. The UX50
is very, very attractive. The screen is color and actually has the
same resolution as the Newton 2000/2100, and the built-in 802.11 is
very nice. Personally I don't need the built-in camera; I wish they
made a version without it (but with 802.11; they do make a cheaper
model, but it has the camera and no 802.11). And the fact that it has
a Memory Stick slot gives it the main feature I need my Newton's PC
card slots for.

I also like the fact that it can be used as an MP3 player and seems
to have a pretty decent web browser. I even like the mini-laptop form
factor, although I wonder how what it's like to use that miniscule
keyboard.

I'd seriously consider buying one, except for one huge drawback: the
price. One reason the Newton is so attractive is because the bang for
the buck that it currently offers is outstanding -- you can pick up
an upgraded 2000 for under $100, and with minor effort it can be
upgraded to do most of what the UX50 does. And personally I really
like the Newton OS, much more so than the Palm OS. And having a
reasonably-sized detachable keyboard is nice. Decent battery life is
nice too.

Of course, if someone decided to give me a UX50 as a gift, I'd
certainly use it. But I'd probably keep using my Newton too.

--mark

--
. . . . .
mark bock