[NTLK] Simplemail sending problems...

From: matthew (matthew_at_reidsrow.com)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 18:06:28 PDT

I remember now why I stopped using my Newton for e-mail a few months ago. I can't send mail.

Here is what happens. I receive a "Server 553 error" when I try to send mail through my smtp account. That means it doesn't allow my email address to send mail from that server (http://www.serverexpert.com/viewtopic.php?t=578). Funny thing is, I can send mail fine from my powerbook email client.

Receiving mail works fine (although I have a bone to pick about the "Sim ple" in the title: Every time I wipe the prefs or have to set Simplemail up (about 5 times as of this post) I have to first click Authenticate POP, enter a password, get an error, then uncheck Authenticate to get the stinker to download my mail. If I don't do that, I'll get the dreaded "Syntax ERR" with or without the authenticate box checked. And this is on 3 different MP2x00s...

Anyone have any ideas here? This first happened one day while at work, and my smtp client is through my hosting service, not my IP. Now it is happening at home (although I had not tried it at home before). Now that I finally configured nBlog, I'll be using the Wireless capabilities of my Newton even more, but it'll be close to useless without the ability to send mail.

Here are some other vitals:
Comcast cable (provider), Web host (and smtp host) ICDSoft, inc., Netgear wireless router, Lucent Silver WaveLAN card.

I've checked with ICDSoft and they have not made any changes to their smtp service over the last 6 months. I have tried authenticating, but it didn't help. I even tried another SMTP server I have access to, but with the same results. That leads me to believe that Simplemail is not sending out the correct info to the smtp host.

I did check the prefs with "Diagnost.pkg", and even wiped the prefs and started over. Everything seems to be fine. (Although I had to check and uncheck authenticate just to get it to work).

Anyway, Thanks in advance for any advice...

           Matthew Reidsma
 Reidsrow Omnimedia Networks
 +world domination tomorrow+
          http://reidsrow.com