Re: [NTLK] Modem for MP1X0?

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 16:59:32 PST

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 07:12:44PM -0500, Alan Davis wrote:
> The original Newton modem, often called the cigarette pack modem since its
> size and shape resembled a pack of cigarettes, was a 9600 baud external
> modem that plugged in to the serial port. I see no reason why this would not
> work. You may need to experiment with some settings, but as long as it is a
> Hayes compatible instruction set, eventually it should work.

300/1200 data, 9600 fax. It's VERY slow for modern work, and many ISPs won't
even support it connecting at its pokey pace.

But, yes, any AT-driven external serial modem should work. I've used a
130 with a 56k Courier modem and it worked fine, if looking a little
odd. (The Courier is between the size of a 2100 and an eMate.)

--
Liberty, equality, diversity. Pick any two.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html