Re: [NTLK] my Newt just experienced a hiccup of the most painful variety

From: Nathan Turnage (nturnage_at_andadv.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 09:56:15 PST

ADyson wrote:
-- Your argument is appreciated, your tone is not.

Cool.

-- The last thing we need is to
-- discourage the few brilliant software developers still dedicated to the
-- Newton platform. I'm sure that most Newton developer's will go out of
their
-- way to help you if you understand that you are dealing with software
that is
-- still heavily under development.

I don't want to discourage anyone from producing software for the Newt.
Paul and Eckhart rock. But I just lost *all* the important data on my
Newton, all of it. And the two problems I had that led to that colossal
tragedy (for me anyway) were seemingly mundane tasks. 1) I was trying to
clear the cache in Courier when the -10606 error prevented me from even
getting the preferences open, and there was no way of getting the cache
cleared or even deleting the prefs files (used trashpak, prefs cleaner,
soup mover). 2) on the CF card, all I did was delete a file, and the
partition was rendered useless. Everything had been backed up to that
partition before it went, *everything*, so that I could do a brain wipe.
My newton wouldn't back up (again the -10606 error) and my only option
was to backup to a card.

I don't mean to unload on you, but this setback has cost me dearly. I
wanted to warn others to avoid the same problems I have experienced. I
just said be wary of using beta sofware, and putting important data on
CF cards. I just had ATA choke again on another card after filing a
document to another (CF) card. It seems to me that large files can
really trip up the software. I am glad I didn't have anything important
on that one. Being that I just paid Paul $60 for ATA I can say that I am
rather unhappy at the moment. I am sure things will get better, and he
will surely continue to work on it, and I am happy to support such a
dedicated developer of Newton software, I am not feeling much joy about
it at the moment.

Cheers,
Nate

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html