Re: [NTLK] my Newt just experienced a hiccup of the most painful variety

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 12:50:47 PST

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 21:09:29 +0100, Paul Guyot wrote:
> What I meant is that I'm pretty sure your don't use low-level APIs to
> actually create/read/write/modify/delete objects (even if these are
> available from NewtonScript).

Correct. I use VBOs actually only indirectly via protoTXView.

> Also, I noticed that problems like this worsened by restarting. I
> wasn't aware you offered to restart when memory gets low

This is the system wide warning when NS heap runs low. I don't show it
from Courier, but I guess the NS thread simply pops it up when a
garbage collection won't help anymore.

> (I'm
> confident you do call ClearVBOCache, don't you?).

I would if I could get a reference to the protoTXView's VBO :( That's
anyway a general problem with protoTXView, it's use of memory is not
very transparent.

> Do you garbage
> collect all your VBOs before you do restart?

Since I don't do the restart in Courier, there's not much I can do. But
I try to maintain a known state in protoTXView most of the time
(externalizing and internalizing, clearing the memory etc).

> Besides, VBOs seems to be the less tested bit of the storage system.

My impression too.

Again, thanks for your insight,

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html