Re: [NTLK] Stripping anti-glare coating off

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sat Dec 06 2003 - 11:11:45 PST

on 12/6/03 6:13 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net at newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Stripping anti-glare coating off
> Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 13:25:13 +0100
>
>> I remember reading somehwere that Frank has a way
>> to strip the anti-glare coating off... obviously a
>> one time act that cannot be redone... <gears whir in
>> head>...
>
> Everyone can do this. Just get some display polish paste,
> disassemble your Newton and polish the display for some
> time. This has turned quite a few unusable 2x00 displays I
> had into quite good displays with barely noticeable
> scratches. This is because most bad spots on the display
> aren't really scratches or dents, but "blind spots" on
> the digitizer foil. Said blind spots can be 100% removed
> with polish paste. However, you'd need to polish the
> whole display, not only the blind spots. Otherwise you'd
> have patches with partially removed antireflective
> coating which looks terrible.

What is this display polish paste? What's it normally used for? I'm curious
because I've really worn out some areas on my screen. It has even begun
interfering with writing, as the stylus stumbles over these worn places...
Unfortunately, most of them are merely expansions of minor blips that were
on the screen when I bought it. Where could one get this paste? Doe it
really look fine after being removed?

(I sometimes use NuShields, but my jaggies somehow seem much worse when I
have NuShields on) :-( TIA

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland