[NTLK] Odd behavior. A little help please.

From: Alan Davis (mdawd_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 12:48:31 PST

I have had a strange thing happen with my Newton MessagePad lately, or more
correctly, it seems to happen with more frequency lately. I have a Newton
MessagePad 2100 (actually two of them and hold one in reserve). I have the
latest system installed (7130031). Approximately two years ago I bought two
Pretec 32 MB Linear flash cards. I knew they were used when I bought them,
but the add on E-bay said barely used.
At the time, I had occasional unusual behavior after installing the cards I
would not get system errors or anything like that the Newton would just
occasionally "freeze" while reading a package.
The reason I am writing this tome, is the behavior has become more frequent
and it is starting to effect programs that I use more routinely (I am
worried about my medical data as I am a Family Physician). Anyway, the only
way to recover from one of these "freezes" is to pull out the battery an
disconnect the 9W power adapter and allow the Newton to reboot because of
the lack of power. Is this a bad card or data corruption that I have heard
you guys talk about. This can happen with either Newton so I do not think
the problem is with the Newton itself. I'm thinking it is the card or the
data on the card. Also, I assume this is not a common error as I have never
seen it described on this list, or am I wrong?

BTW I use the term freeze loosely because one of the symptoms I have had
lately is that the Extras drawer closing noise will play repeatedly or at
least the last part of it. Again the only way to recover from one of these
is to withdraw all power.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need more info to help, please
let me know.

P.S. Maybe this is a good time to invest in Paul's ATA Driver? Linear flash
is way expensive.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html