[NTLK] Faxing to an HP OfficeJet crashes my Newton

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Sat Dec 13 2003 - 11:13:07 PST

Does anyone know why faxing to an HP OfficeJet will cause my Newton (MP120
OS v2.0 516263) to crash and restart? At my work, we have two fax machines,
both are the exact same (AIO) Hewlett Packard OfficeJet V40. I would like
to be able to fax to them but faxing to either one of them causes my Newton
to crash/restart predictably, right at connection/handshaking. Doesn't
matter which modem I use, whether external or PCMCIA. I've tried to fax
with all of the following modems, with the exact same result:

 Apple Newton Fax Modem Card with XJack by Megahertz (9600 Fax/2400 Data)
 USR Megahertz PC Card Modem XJ4288 with XJack (28.8 Data/14.4 Fax)
 USR Sportster Voice 33.6 Fax Modem for Macintosh

Here's the kicker, if I fax to my Macintosh at home (also a USR Sportster)
using any of the above modems, everything works great. The Newton sends the
fax, even multiple pages, and continues normally. <BOAST> My Mac receives
the fax, converts it to a .gif and then emails it to me. </BOAST>

I haven't tried any other fax machines (other my own fax modem at home) but
I suspect older fax machines won't be a problem. I may look up some friends
who have different fax machines to try but I'm hoping that this not going
to be a consistent problem with newer fax machines. Anybody have any ideas?
Want to give one of my "killer" fax machines a try?

Ron

--
Sent using Cyberdog OpenDoc Transport for MacOS
--
   |\ | @ Quadzilla.NET
--
Fetch...Send...Stay... "Good Boy!"