Re: [NTLK] Decaying programs

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 12:15:04 PST

I had an NT 4.0 server that everybody had forgotten
about that had clocked over 11,000 hours of up-time...
A quick scan of the weblogs showed that it wasn't a
slacker either...it was serving over 500,000 pages a
week!
But I don't feel comfortable with any machine that
hasn't been rebooted in that long, so I rebooted the
machine and entered it in our server log so it
wouldn't be forgotten again...
.Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Norman Palardy <palardyn_at_shaw.ca> wrote:

> On 12-Dec-03, at 2:39 PM, Andrei Chichak wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >
> > On the other hand, with a REAL operating system,
> bragging points are
> > awarded to those with the highest uptime. My
> personal record, 1.5 years
> > with an SCO UNIX box. My corporate record 23 years
> with no unscheduled
> > downtime, University of Alberta Hospitals Tandem.
>
> The best I'd ever personally been involved in were
> Vax clusters.
> I installed the cluster, eventually left the
> company, returned several
> years later on contract, again left the company at
> the end of the
> contract and again returned years later. The cluster
> was up and
> available the whole time, even with drive outages
> (thank god for
> hardware mirrors)
>
> That was 14 years.
>
> And they had the Mac IIci I installed for desktop
> backups also still
> running as well.
> That was 13 years old (and man was it full of dust)
> When I finally shut it off the HD froze tight.

=====
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown"
               -Darph Bobo, Tripping the Rift